SOLYP3 is a questionnaire-based planning software which digitizes the strategic planning of companies of all sizes sharpening the strategy process as a management process. In a multi-dimensional planning matrix, both hard data (numerical) and soft data (non-numerical) is collected and linked intelligently.
Already in the analysis phase, the quality of the data is improved and the data can be used for determining the plausibility of the strategic planning. SOLYP3 supports the defining of strategic objectives – from the top management to the business units – and the deriving of appropriate strategic measures. Their success can be measured using controlling tools, so that an evaluation of the measures can be considered in the in the strategy process of the next planning period.
The flexible media output makes all data collected by SOLYP3 accessible in all display modes and electronic formats, both online (dashboards) and offline (e.g., PowerPoint).
SOLYP3 in Practice
Based on some exemplary planning steps, see below how SOLYP3 manages the strategy development of your company in an easy, flexible, and successful manner.
Fig. 1: Graphical navigation enables intuitive selection of planning units – here shown as world map
- The feature: Different strategic planning units, such as regions or businesses, can be selected via a graphical interface or drop-down menu.
- Your strategic advantage: Planning units are managed centrally, i.e. they can be adjusted to the strategic direction of your organization at any time. You decide who is to work on which planning unit, or whether a particular planning unit should be planned centrally. This enables you to manage the strategy process across your organization and, at the same time, assure the completeness and consistency of the process.
Fig. 2: Questionnaire-based data entry – Example: Market description
- The feature: All strategical relevant data is collected in a systematic fashion using questionnaires. Contents are defined top-down and can be refined bottom-up. Data is collected through tables, scales, sliders, or free text fields, and includes all relevant parameters of the strategy process of your organization. The questionnaires are individually assembled and customized to fit your specific strategic planning process.
- Your strategic advantage: SOLYP3’s structured approach to data collection not only conveys a sense of security to the user, but also ensures the quality and consistency of the collected data. Top-down requirements ensure that each strategic business unit delivers the same kind of data in the same way, allowing consistent data presentation. In addition, the top-down/bottom-up approach allows complementing central requirements by business-specific perspectives. This way, your strategy process gains comprehensiveness and acceptance among strategy managers.
Fig. 3: Use of soft data – Example: Competitor analysis
- The feature: Soft data, such as trend analyses, opinions, or assessments of market developments, is collected using scales or sliders and made available to strategic planning.
- Your strategic advantage: The consideration of softer data is key to developing a successful business strategy. Only then qualitative changes in the business environment become visible and plain financial key figures are placed in context making the future of your company visible and manageable. Using scales, sliders, or text fields, you can collect your soft data in a comprehensive, standardized, and systematic fashion, so it can be seamlessly linked with hard data. As a result, your strategic planning gains reliability, robustness, and predictive power - a decisive competitive advantage in dynamic market environments.
Fig. 4: Generation of presentations and reports at the push of a button
- The feature: All data stored in SOLYP3 can be put out in standard presentation formats, such as PowerPoint or Excel. Furthermore, standardized reports can be generated, e.g., in HTML or XML.
- Your strategic advantage: With SOLYP3, you create presentations, lists, and reports simply at the push of a button – in the corporate design of your organization. Central data collection prevents inadvertent errors due to media breaks as well as having different planning versions on different hard drives. The automated media output relieves those responsible for strategy from up to 60% of tiresome routine work. This allows you to save on the most valuable resource of your organization: the working time of your employees and colleagues.
Fig. 5: Linking of hart and soft data – Example: Development of market vs trends
- The feature: Hard and soft data – key figures and trends – are collected and linked intelligently, so that mutual dependencies, such as cause-effect relationships, become visible.
- Your strategic advantage: Cause-effect relationships (causal chains) become verifiable and can be calculated objectively. For instance, if rising sales are at odds with declining trends, SOLYP3 will automatically reveal this conflict. As, ideally, hard and soft data is entered by different employees, you can easily determine who is responsible for a “story” and uncover and eliminate any weaknesses in the database.
Fig. 6: The SOLYP3 data browser facilitates quick access to strategic core data – Example: Competitor turnover
- The feature: All data collected through the questionnaires is available for intelligent analysis, i.e. they are linked, correlated, and made comparable.
- Your strategic advantage: Data can be timely and globally analyzed across all planning units as soon as a new strategic question arises. The quick access to all data analyses enables you to give individual answers to strategic questions increasing the flexibility and agility of your planning and creating the basis for creative management of strategic measures.
Fig. 7: Defining and pursuing of strategic goals with SOLYP3
- The feature: Based on the overall corporate goals, strategic challenges are defined that help achieve these goals. Proven strategy tools, such as SWOT analyzes, are an integral part of SOLYP3.
- Your strategic advantage: Based on the intelligent analysis of hard and soft data only those strategic challenges are considered that are relevant to the achievement of the set goals. This focus leads to considerable time savings in the further planning process, so that more resources are available for the creative management of strategic measures. In addition, by rigorously pursuing goals at the corporate level, your strategy process is sharpened turning into a management process.
Fig. 8: Defining and pursuing strategic measures with SOLYP3
- The feature: Strategic measures and initiatives are defined for each level of the planning matrix; whether it is for the individual planning unit or the entire group.
- Your strategic advantage: In addition to the description of the measures, SOLYP3 also enables assessments and forecasts of the expected benefits, financial impact, and feasibility of the initiatives. These can be summarized in an initiatives portfolio and rated in terms of effectiveness. Strategic initiatives are communicated digitally as part of the strategy process in a timely and unequivocally manner. This ensures that everyone responsible for strategy is "brought on board," i.e. they participate equally in the process and have the same state of knowledge. The roll-out of the entire business strategy gains speed, acceptance, and efficiency.
Fig. 9: Increased planning reliability due to comparison of historical data
- The feature: Diagrams relate and correlate historical strategic plans revealing both successes and wrong forecasts. Strategic plans can be compared with actual key figures at any time in order to follow developments and enable readjustments.
- Your strategic advantage: Only efficient strategic controlling ensures your company's success in the long-term. From the follow-up of global corporate strategy to the tracking of measures at the planning unit level, there are tools available allowing you to review the success of the chosen strategy. The analyses are incorporated into the next planning period, thus guaranteeing a constantly optimized planning process. Your strategic planning gains in robustness and predictive power.
Download: How SOLYP3 works